Saturday, February 22, 2014

Logan native seeking USU/SA presidency

It has been more than a decade since a Logan native served as Utah State University’s student president. Ryan Lambert is hoping to change that.

“I have many memories from younger years of roller-blading through campus on Sunday afternoons, growing a love for Aggie basketball from the family side of the Spectrum, and taking walks to Aggie Ice Cream with my family,” Lambert said. “I'm just passionate about this university because it's played such a big role in my childhood growing up in Logan, and now even more today as a student. I want people to love their Aggie experience as much as I have.”

Lambert’s main goal is to share the love he feels for the university with other students.

“I want to be president because I love Utah State University and I want to give back by making it a positive experience for any student who will allow it to be such,” Lambert said. “I grew up here, I've been involved here, all my friends are here, and I love it here. I think I offer something unique and different, and I want to take advantage of the opportunity to help students have the same experiences that I've had, and have more together.”

The last Logan native to be present was Celestial Bybee, who led what was then called the Associated Students of Utah State University in 2002-2003. Incumbent candidate Doug Fiefia, who leads what is now known as Associated Students of Utah State University, is from South Jordan. Joshua LeFevre, the third candidate, hails from Kaysville.  

Lambert hopes to improve student involvement if he is elected.

“There are some great people here at Utah State,” Lambert said. “Unfortunately, I don't feel like enough people feel like they can really give back or have much to offer. I want to focus on communicating to a wider variety of students so that more people feel like they can be, and should be, involved.”

He praised Fiefia’s initiation of a new program called MyVoice. The messaging system allows students to submit concerns or problems.

“Doug has done a terrific job this year,” Lambert said. “He's created the MyVoice system that has made it available for students to express comments or concerns, where otherwise it has been hard for them to do so.”

Steve Clark, a senior at USU, met Lambert their freshman year while participating in the ambassador program. Clark describes Lambert as a naturally popular person who doesn’t like attention.

“If Ryan receives public credit for something he has done, he turns red in the face,” Clark said. “He’s not in this for the attention or the scholarship.”

Clark continued to learn about Lambert as they played basketball together and attended leadership conferences.

“I’ve learned that Ryan is such a good person,” Clark said. “There has never been anyone more ready for this position.”

Eliza Welsh, Tess Griffeth, Mark Hanni, Emi Tano and Bailee Woolsetnhulme contributed to this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment