Saturday, February 25, 2012

Friends face off in ASUSU elections


When student elections begin Monday, some candidates will find themselves facing off against close friends.

Abigail Kingsford is on the government relations committee with Ben Wilson. Both are running for executive vice president.

“Sometimes it’s awkward when we have to go do stuff together,” Kingsford said. “I’ve been planning to run since September. I didn’t find out he was going to run until the night before the elections packets were due.”

And that, Kingsford said, “was a little bit frustrating for me because I have been working on it all year. This is the position that traditionally goes unopposed, so I was hoping that would be the case but it didn’t happen.”

Kellen Hansen is facing a similar challenge. He’s up against friend Chaise Warr for the position of programming vice president.

“Chaise has volunteered at a couple of different events with me this year, so we’ve gotten to know each other quite well,” Hansen said. “We’re not on bad terms or anything, but it gets a little awkward. Whenever we talk we don’t know exactly what to say.”

Even though they are opponents, Hansen said his friendship with Warr will last through the elections.

“I can’t imagine, win or lose, having animosity or hard feelings toward him, and vice versa. He’s a good dude,” Hansen said.

Warr said friend-on-friend races are an inevitable result of the small and close-knit group of student that is involved in ASUSU activities.

“Because of ASUSU and being involved in programming I’ve gotten to know Kellen really well and I’ve learned a lot from him,” Warr said. “The two of us have a mutual respect for each other.”

Rhett Wilkinson and Trent Morrison will be running against each other for the position of College of Humanities and Social Sciences senator.

“Trent and I know each other because his major and my minor are the same,” Wilkinson said. “We’re both involved with ASUSU. Obviously he’s done some good things but I think I am better qualified. I already have plans for office and defined goals.”

The closeness of the ASUSU community presents opportunities for candidates to know each other’s strengths — and weaknesses.

“I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve,” said Christian Orr, a candidate for student advocate.
Anthony Pratt met Orr when they were both on the A-team.

“We were pretty close. I know him well,” said Pratt, referring to Orr. “It’s kind of awkward but I’m not out to get anybody.”

Matt Skabelund, Katie Carter, Parker Jeppesen, Julia Stock, Jessica Jolley, Adison Pace and Victoria Hepworth contributed to this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment