Friday, February 24, 2012

Taani Fisilau out for four months with torn chest muscle

Utah State University football player Taani Fisilau was in a routine weight lifting session when he tore a muscle in his chest.

He knows there’s nothing routine about the path to recovery.

“My goal is to be a starter next year and not being able to train really sucks,” the sophomore offensive lineman said. “This injury has set me back a lot.”

Near the end of his workout, Fisilau said, his strength gave out and he could no longer hold up the 315 pounds of weight he was lifting.

“I felt my chest rip,” Fisilau said. “The weight and pressure were tearing my muscle.”

Teammate Kellen Bartlett was there to catch the weights before they could cause further harm.

“It came out of nowhere,” Bartlett said. “I was shocked and it was lucky that I was paying attention.”

After the incident, Fisilau was taken to a sports medicine trainer and later to the hospital for an MRI.

“The doctor said I was lucky that I didn’t tear any ligaments and that I won’t need surgery,” Fisilau said. “I am only going to be out for four months.”

But Fisilau, whose left arm is currently in a sling, said he knows that time away could set him back.

“My dad told me that there is always room for improvement and that I need to get out there and go harder,” Fisilau said. ‘’I cannot wait till I can get this sling off and for my muscle to heal.”

Abbie Lewis, Adam Barkley, Amanda Morgan, Amy Nelson, Danielle Hayes and Katelyn Swain contributed to this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment