Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Little debate in the debates: Candidates want fee oversight, improved student involvement

There was no mud-slinging, no arguing or any apparent bitter feelings expressed between those behind the microphone. Candidates in Monday and Tuesday’s student government debates instead focused on positive ways to improve Utah State University.

The presidential primary debate was held Monday in the Hub and a Statesman-sponsored debate including the rest of the Executive Council candidates was held Tuesday.

Candidates first presented their platforms. Presidential candidates Hannah Blackburn and Christian Thrapp both discussed giving students the opportunity to be heard.

“I got involved with the different things on campus. I got involved with my professors and my classes and I realized how great Utah State is,” Thrapp said. “It was because of this love I have for the university, why I want to be ASUSU president, so I can give back and do the best possible thing and develop even greater ideas and develop greater traditions here at Utah State. My platform is, I will stand for the student voice.”

“I want students to be heard,” Blackburn said. “My campaign is simple. There are four pillars: open communication, transparency, fiscal responsibility and student involvement.”

The candidates also focused on student fees and increasing student involvement.

“We need to be responsible with those fees,” said Adam Vail, former executive president candidate and the father of five children. “Tuition is going to go up. That’s just how it is.”

“I want the students to know where every dime of their student fees are going, that way we can cut back costs and let people know and educate the students on their tuition,” said presidential candidate Smitty Hartly.

Candidates said they want to be informed by students.

“One thing that as you can see all the candidates are talking about is ‘one voice.’ We’re trying to make sure that the student voice is being represented by ASUSU,” Hartly said. “That’s the main goal. As a president, we’re here to represent you.”

“We need to not just listen,” said Vail, “but to act.”

Joe Bagnes, Katie Carter, Victoria Hepworth, Jessica Jolley, Parker Jeppesen, Adison Pace, Matt Skabelund and Julia Stock contributed to this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment